Thursday, November 8, 2007

becca—One One Nine



It’s been a lifelong dream to produce a little ‘zine’, but until I get off my ass and do it, I’m left admiring peoples who have. I ordered a copy of One One Nine on an impulse. I saw that Up North curated it and decided to give it a go.

I must admit I was disappointed. The whole thing feels disjointed. At first glance I thought there was a theme that linked the illustrations, but when I received my (pretty beat-up) copy in the mail I was disheartened that there was no common thread. It acts primarily as a showcase for illustrators, some of which are quite good but most feel rather contrived.

I’m left wondering what’s the point.

I respect the fact that they were able to get some names together and ultimately produce something and I understand that they were “curating”. However, I wish more thought would have been put into the final outcome. There isn’t even an upfront piece to explain why they wanted to do this.

Anyway, it was good for a few quick flip-throughs, but this will probably float around my apartment for a while before getting filed into a magazine racks to possibly never be seen again.

No comments: